Amid the global pandemic we’re all fighting against, one thing has become clear: the need to contribute to sustainable practices in an effort to save the planet, one little step at a time. And what better way to acknowledge this fact than on World Environment Day, 2020.
And as that realisation is being celebrated world over on World Environment Day, 2020, we take a look at some musicians who have dedicated their lives to sustainability and environmental activism. From Billie Eilish to Coldplay, the roster of Green Lovers is extensive.
1. Billie Eilish made the bold move to make her world tour as eco-friendly as possible- from banning straws, installing water pods for water refills and using only e-tickets. She’s also an outspoken advocate for veganism, so there’s that. Photo Credit: Emma McIntyre/Getty Images
2. Justin Timberlake has been spending big money for the past few years, encouraging the development of various environmentally sustainable projects, including a golf course – the first of its kind in the US. Photo Credit: Christopher Polk/Getty Images
3. Miley Cyrus has been an outspoken vegan for a few years now, encouraging any effort one can make towards being kinder to the planet. She is the poster girl for World Environment Day, 2020. Photo Credit: Jon Kopaloff/Getty Images
4. Adele has been involved in efforts to conserve water. She also uses her social media to raise awareness and contribute to fundraising towards the environment. Photo Credit: Kevin Winter/Getty Images
5. Coldplay made the shocking announcement that they would not be appearing on/ scheduling any tours or concerts for their latest album release. From air traffic to the massive use of plastic and paper, all eliminated in one smooth move. Photo Credit: Mauricio Santana/Getty Images
6. Radiohead has been running the game for a long time now, both in the music scene, but also in terms of environmental awareness. They have influenced thousands to adopt new ways of living. Photo Credit: Jim Steinfeldt/Michael Ochs Archives/GettyImages
7. John Legend, took the bold step to plan out a completely eco-friendly summer tour for his latest album release. His website will also give concert-goers tips and ideas on how to make their experience as eco-friendly as possible. A hero for the nevironment! Photo Credit: Ian Gavan/Getty Images
8. Pink has been an active participant in the celebrity movement towards environmental consciousness. She’s pretty much the poster girl for the environment. She even donated half a million dollars towards relief efforts in Australia during the recent forest fires. Photo Credit: Matt Winkelmeyer/Getty Images
9. Paul McCartney, has dedicated a large part of his music and career to raising awareness and funds for the cause of the environment. Photo Credit: Spencer Platt/Getty Images
10. Will.i.am from the Black Eyed Peas might be a general all rounder – producer, musician, entertainer and businessman, but he’s also got the humanitarian feather in his cap. He has donated millions towards the environment. Photo Credit: Kevork Djansezian/Getty Images
By: Ahalya Narayanan