This week in pop culture was a goodie bag with the perfect mix. Think about everything that makes the music industry what it is – new releases, award shows and just a little bit of drama. And, then, you’ve got this past week in music.
So, as we head into a new week of all things music, and
leave an old one behind, here’s a look at all the happenings of the days gone by. And, we’d suggest bracing yourselves. From spine tingling releases to the final rollout at the Billboard Music Awards, this rundown has got you covered. Here’s all you need to know.
Photo Credits: Artists’ Social Media (except where mentioned otherwise)
1. Post Malone swept the BBMAs off its feet. The singer-songwriter bagged 9 out of the 16 awards he was nominated for, scoring a record-making win. And, he also delivered a hard-hitting performance of his hit single, ‘Circles’.
2. Kicking off the series of spine tingling releases this week, Demi Lovato delivered a direct message to POTUS – Donald Trump with her latest single, ‘Commander In Chief’. And, with this politically charged piano ballad, she called him out in every way possible.
3. And, carrying forward the tingles, Justin Bieber and Benny Blanco released a tear-jerking single titled ‘Lonely’. This one is an ode to Bieber’s lost innocence, wrapped in raw lyricism and gritty vocals.
4. BLACKPINK’s Netflix Original documentary: ‘Light Up The Sky’ released and quickly became a trending watch on the streaming service. Fans and non-fans got a close and in-depth look at the South Korean mega stars.
5. And, then, more filmic news reached the music world as Shawn Mendes announced the release of an upcoming documentary based on his musical journey. The film, slated for release on the 23rd of Novemeber is titled, ‘In Wonder’.
6. Ariana Grande took the internet by storm when she confirmed the release of her sixth studio album. The singer said the album will reach us by the end of this month. (Photo by: Andrew Lipovsky/NBC)
7. Further, extending the roster of new releases was the dream pair – Lauv and Conan Gray. The duo joined hands for their first ever collaboration, a track called ‘Fake’.
8. In addition, Lana Del Rey joined the list when she released the first single off her upcoming seventh studio album. This one was called ‘Let Me Love You Like a Woman’.
9. BTS made history yet again as their remix of Jason Derulo’s ‘Savege Love’ ft. Jawsh 685 landed atop the BIllboard Hot 100. This marked the first time since 2009 that a group occupied both No. 1 & No. 2 on the chart. Their second song was ‘Dynamite’.
10. And, finally, NCT 127 made an energetic comeback with their album, “Resonance Pt. 1” and a brand new single, ‘Make a Wish’. The release made big waves on music charts world over.
By: Ahalya Narayanan