This week, the music industry has been witness to a flurry of activity. There’s been a downpour of new releases and fiery collaborations. This week, Travis Scott, Jennifer Lopez and Zayn Malik created quite a splash with their new singles.
The music world has also been drenched in quite a bit of drama this week. The Twitterverse has seen a storm of activity after Zayn Malik made some changes on his profile, fueling speculations of a new era in music. Further, the nominee list for the Billboard Music Awards arrived with some pleasant surprises and some shocking snubs. This week has been peppered with some buzz-worthy headlines and we don’t have a minute to waste, so let’s dive right in!
Photo Credits: Artists’ Official Instagram
1. Lady Gaga created quite the buzz when she dropped the music video for ‘911’ from her “Chromatica” cut. Featuring a scoop full of vibrant colours and a plot line that mirrored that of a fever dream, the visualizer proved to be an absolute treat from start to finish.
2. Stray Kids dropped the music video for their track, ‘Ex’. The band dabbled with ideas of loneliness, choosing to dwell on frivolous tasks to keep the pain at bay. They adopted some brilliant visual metaphors to mirror the heavy concepts seen in ‘Ex’.
3. Doja Cat recently took Twitter by storm when she confirmed a collaboration with Ariana Grande.
4. BTS recently wrapped up their debut NPR Tiny Desk Concert. The boys treated fans to a live-band version of ‘Dynamite’ and some of their older gems like ‘Spring Day’ and ‘Save Me’.
5. The Billboard Music Awards just put out their nominee list and it looks like Post Malone is l eading the charge with a whopping 16 nominations. He’s followed closely behind by Lil Nas X, Billie Eilish and Khalid.
6. Zayn Malik recently made some changes to his social media profiles and inevitably added fuel to fire of fan speculations. Not long after, Twitter blew up with the hashtag ‘ #Z3 IS COMING‘ alerting the world to a new era of Zayn music.
7. The Weeknd recently dished out that he might have a brand new album on the platter post-quarantine. He confirmed that he would be exploring a whole different universe, one completely separate from his March release, “After Hours”.
8. Ashton Irwin from the Australian rock band, 5 Seconds of Summer, is all set to embark on his solo career. He’s gearing up to drop his debut album, “Superbloom” that sets out to explore some pretty heavy themes like Depression, body dysmorphia, addiction and more.
9. Jennifer Lopez recently tied up with Maluma for not one but two new releases, ‘Pa’Ti’ and ‘Lonely’. Both tunes were also treated to their very own, cinematic visualizers.
10. Travis Scott just dropped his psychedelic fresh tune, ‘Franchise’ featuring fellow rappers, Young Thug and M.I.A. The self-directed music video draws inspiration from Christopher Nolan’s universe, that Scott previously contributed to with ‘The Plan’.
By: Nina Karun