2020 has been a rollercoaster ride of a year. But, one of the greatest escapes of all time is music. And, the industry’s musicians took creation, art and new music to new heights in the backdrop of the pandemic. Aside from full-length studio albums, kickstarting new eras in music and brand new singles, they also
teamed up with fellow artists. The result? A slew of star-studded collaborations.
Just today, news arrived that Justin Bieber and J Balvin are teaming up for a
remix of 24kGldn’s ‘Mood’. And, The Weeknd and Maluma teased a possible collabortaion, too. So, as we wait for those tracks to light up our playlists, here’s a deep dive into 10 of the best collaborations in 2020. Get your playlists ready.
Photo Credits: Artists’ Social Media
1. Well, Lady Gaga and Ariana Grande definitely rocked the pop boat with their chart-topping hit, ‘Rain on Me’. The track earned No. 1 on the Hot 100 singles chart, and scored many more accolades (and hearts) upon release.
2. DaBaby and Roddy Ricch took the charts by storm with their hit track, ‘Rockstar’. The acoustic-trap song, marked with socio-politicla messaging, continues to occupy top spots on our playlists.
3. And, from one blazing hip hop collaboration to another, Cardi B and Megan Thee Stallion took the world, and the internet by storm with their sensual, sexually charged track, ‘WAP’. This one reigned supreme on the Hot 100 singles charts for weeks and also scored history-making sales numbers.
4. Sam Smith and Demi Lovato took pop music by storm with their sultry, bass-pop hit, ‘I’m Ready’. Powerhouse vocalists and moody tones? What more could you need?
5. Are you really surprised that Megan Thee Stallion makes two appearances on this chart? This list would be incomplete without the mention of ‘Savage’ by Megan and Beyonce. The track delivered Texan-rap power like never before.
6. Dua Lipa and DaBaby teamed up for a groovy remix of the already groovy ‘Levitating’. DaBaby adds a special something to the disco-pop track, while Dua delivers signature deep-toned vocals. Try not to dance to this one; we dare you.
7. Taking the two-style collaborations further, the late Juice WRLD and Marshmello teamed up for a high-energy love song titled ‘Come & Go’. And, this one is still, posthumously, riding high on the charts.
8. Further, Bebe Rhexa and Doja Cat put out an honest, vulnerable but groovy pop track in ‘Baby, I’m Jealous’ and we’re still moving along to it. No, seriously, this one’s a banger in every sense of the word.
9. And, taking girl power to the ultimate high, BLACKPINK and Selena Gomez came in hot, melting hearts world over with their single, ‘Ice Cream’.
10. And, Justin Bieber and Ariana Grande sit atop this lovely cake of collaborations with their track – the cherry on top – ‘Stuck With U’. This one is a jazzy-toned pop ballad that is sure to make you swoon. (Photo by Kevin Mazur/Getty Images for AG)
By: Ahalya Narayanan