South Korean boy group, GOT7, may be occupying Twitter trends yet again, but it isn’t all rainbows and sunshine. The boys’ entertainment agency recently
came under fire for neglecting the 7 member group, casting them aside with insufficient promotion.
And while GOT7 and their fan base fight for their earned place in the spotlight, many are still unaware of the group’s identity in the pop music landscape. So, here’s a quick, but deep dive into the group.
Photo Credit: Individual/ Group’s Official Social Media
1. GOT7 comprise of seven members – JB, Jackson, Jinyoung, Yugyeom, Youngjae, BamBam and Mark. They debuted in the year 2014.
2. Mark Tuan, more commonly known as Mark, is the oldest in the group. Of Korean descent, he is originally from Los Angeles. He is one of the main rappers in GOT7.
3. Im Jae Bum, known by his stage name, JB is the leader of the group. He is one of the main vocalists and the main producer/songwriter of GOT7.
4. Park Jinyoung, commonly known as Jinyoung, is one of the main vocalists on the group. He also lends his talents to acting, and is a popular face in Korean dramas.
5. Jackson Wang is the only Chinese member of GOT7. He is one of the main rappers of the group. Before breaking into K-Pop, he was a National level fencer in China.
6. Youngjae is often known as the lead vocalist of the group. His vocal abilities and consistent delivery are often been celebrated as some of the best in K-Pop.
7. ‘BamBam’ (real name Kunpimook Bhuwakul), is a rapper in GOT7. He is of Thai descent and is the only Thai member of the group.
8. Kim Yu Gyeom, known as Yugyeom, is the youngest in GOT7. He is often referred to as the lead dancer. His appearance on the TV Show ‘Hit The Stage’ received critical acclaim.
9. GOT7’s debut album, ‘Got It?’ peaked at No. 1 on the Billboard World Albums Chart, making them one of the few K-Pop groups to achieve this feat with a debut album.
10. With their latest release, ‘DYE’, GOT7 sold over 445,000 units in pure sales, making them one of the best selling groups under JYP Entertainment.
By: Ahalya Narayanan