With news of popular K-Pop group, EXO’s Sehun taking on his first major film role (Kim Jung Hoon’s “Pirates: The Goblin’s Flag”), the topic of idols turned actors is back on the table. And while being a K-Pop idol in the music industry is hard enough, many idols have taken their talent to the silver screen.
From fellow EXO members – D.O, Suho and Chanyeol, to others like Sungjae from BTOB, Hyeri from Girl’s Day, Suzy from Miss A and Junho from 2 PM, here is a list of K-Pop idols who have made successful careers as actors in the Korean film industry.
Photo Credit: All Photos Taken From Artists’ Official Instagrams
1. Cha Eunwoo, who is also a member of boy group ‘Astro’, has proven his acting chops time and time again. He has played the lead in several K-dramas, romance being his forte – “ My ID is Gangnam Beauty“, “The Rookie Historian” and more.
2. 2 PM’s Junho has enjoyed a successful career in K-Pop, and an equally successful one on screen. From movies to TV shows, there’s no role or genre too difficult for Lee Junho.
3. Bae Suzy, more commonly known by her stage name, Suzy, is one of the most successful idol turned actors from K-Pop. Her portfolio includes the smash hits “Uncontrollably Fond”, “While You Were Sleeping” and “ Vagabond“.
4. Yook Sungjae from the boy group BTOB is now a seasoned actor for Korean television. He is currently acting in ‘Mystic Pop-Up Bar’, while his past projects include the record breaking ‘ Goblin‘, and School 2015 and more.
5. Fairly new to the acting world, in comparison to his EXO bandmates, Chanyeol has seen massive success with his role in “ Memories of the Alhambra“, and the Chinese film “I married an Anti-Fan”.
6. IU’s talents know no bounds. She has conquered the K-Pop world with her unique styles and that vigor extends to the screen too. Mastering every character she plays, her work has been critically acclaimed. Her past projects include “ Hotel De Luna“, “My Mister”, and the highly anticipated film “Dream” alongside Park Seo Joon.
7. Park Jinyoung from the group GOT7 has an extremely busy schedule. Being part of an ongoing drama and one of the biggest K-Pop groups in the world mustn’t be easy, but he does it all with ease. His on screen appearances have been received well by fans and non-fans alike.
8. EXO’s D.O may be known as one of the strongest voices in K-Pop, but that magnanimity has followed him into his work as an actor. Spanning genres like comedy (My Annoying Brother), thrillers (the K-drama Hello Monster) and serious drama (Swing Kids), D.O is versatile and capable beyond his years.
9. Suho, leader and member of EXO, has lent his talents to K-dramas and movies alike. His performances, though subdued, have been received well by audiences all over the world.
10. This list would be incomplete without Girl’s Day’s Lee Hye-ri, more commonly known as ‘Hyeri’. She proved her acting chops with her breakout role in the record breaking series “ Reply 1988“, and continues to dominate the screen with impressive dramas and films.
By: Ahalya Narayanan