Today, on January 4th, we celebrate Pop Music Chart Day! While you might be familiar with our Indigo Hot 40 Charts, and others around the world, as are artists who’ve been in the game for a very long time. And yet, this is where it gets tough.
Pop Music Chart Day looks particularly at the songs that have made a significant impact in the music industry. And this of course means, how long the song’s managed to cling onto the weekly charts. That’s why today, we applaud those songs and artists that have made their mark on charts world over.
This, after all, is one of the major ways of judging how influential bands and musicians are – if a song remains on the charts for a long period of time, there’s a good chance that even years down the line, people might still bring it up in a conversation, or even better: listen to it.
Now here’s a rundown of the top 10 songs on the Pop Music Chart:
10. Halsey’s had quite the year. She’s been dropping hits left, right and centre from her upcoming album, Manic, plus she bagged an American Music Award for Favourite Pop/Rock Song and managed to tie up with the K-pop industry! Her album, Manic, which is dropping on Jan 17th, has seen songs like ‘Graveyard’, ‘Clementine’ and ‘Without Me’, all tying into the theme of “a look behind the curtain,” as Halsey’s hinted.
9. Dua Lipa’s hit “Don’t Start Now” has taken the world by storm and turns out to be a fantastic start to the singer’s new era in music, as the single marks the first official release from her upcoming studio album “Future Nostalgia”. Not only has this hit graced our charts but Dua’s also broken records after scoring her seventh No. 1 on the Billboard Dance Song Chart – becoming the first singer to do so.
8. After topping multiple charts worldwide, Tones and I’s “Dance Monkey” makes its home here too.
The song from the Australian artist,Toni Watson, scooped four ARIA Awards in Australia, where her hit single has ruled the national chart for an all-time record of more than 18 weeks! This song stands out mainly due to Watson’s unique vocals, which sounds like something ghostly you’d hear out of a car radio, while driving through a dystopian cityscape. Fits the vibe, doesn’t it?
7. The rising DC trio, Shard, re-released their hit “Trampoline,” with Zayn Malik joining vocalist, Chelsea Lee, transforming the dark synth-pop track into a duet. This has been a dream come true for Lee as she said, “Pillowtalk’ is one of my all-time favorite songs, I warm up to it all the time, so singing a duet with Zayn is extra special and totally surreal.”
6. Lil Nas X is no one-hit-wonder, as after his record breaking hit, “Old Town Road” spent a whopping 18 weeks on the Billboard Hot 100 charts, “Panini” did just as well. This song appeared on his debut EP 7 and marks his second single, following his breakout hit. For a singer this young to be breaking records, it clearly shows that the kid’s got a lot of talent and we can’t wait to see him blossom this year!
5. Lewis Capaldi’s track, ‘Someone You Loved’ has pulled the heartstrings of people world over. This one’s from the Scottish singer-songwriter’s upcoming debut album, ‘Divinely Uninspired to a Hellish Extent’ and it took a good 6 months to write. Well, everyone’s got a different process and perhaps for Lewis, hours of songwriting is the perfect recipe for a chart topping hit!
4. Most of Maroon 5’s breakthrough hits have been a neat mixture of pop and dance music. But this year, they’ve slowed things down with their moving single, ‘Memories,’ which speaks about the loss of the band’s manager and front man Adam Levine’s friend, Jordan Feldstein. But the band has shown no signs of slowing down as they’re ringing in the new year with a massive North American tour, kicking off on May 30th!
3. Selena Gomez’s new era in music began with her track, ‘Lose You To Love Me’. This one’s all about her personal growth and struggle to overcome a difficult break up. She returned to the stage after quite a few years, making the performance immensely moving.
2. Over the year, Lizzo’s won fans with a string of supercatchy, pop singles. Not only have her tracks, ‘Tuth Hurts’, ‘Good as Hell’ and ‘Juice’ soared through charts across the world, but she’s also had a ball while performing them live! She made her debut on Saturday Night Live and took the crowd by frenzy with her performance, as she always does! Oh and let’s not forget, she’s got 8 Grammy nominations. Yup, you heard me right. 2020 is already looking pretty awesome for Lizzo, don’t you think?
1. Post Malone’s only 24, but he’s one of the most popular musicians in the country. His single, “Rockstar” brought fame right to his doorstep. And from then on, the artist has shown no signs of slowing down. Last year, he released his album, ‘Hollywood’s Bleeding’ , and believe it or not, all 17 tracks from the album made it to the Billboard charts. Now, that screams talent right there.